08 July 2011

Friday explanation

Why haven't I been posting?

Every now and then I get into a strange life. My day switches almost without reason: I go to bed at 8 or 10 AM and get up at 3 or 5 in the afternoon. No idea what sparks it off but it happens.
I'm fairly antisocial anyway, so it doesn't make a lot of difference to my life. The main effect is shopping: the local convenience store (open 6:30AM to 10PM) gets a lot more use, although I manage to sneak into M&S first thing for stuff.

Anyhow: photos of the pond:

Grebewatch
The "bottom" grebes are trying for another brood of chicks:
First a slideshow
Tip: to run the slideshow don't click the centre arrow thing, just click on the black edge
A few individual pics:

Mum's sitting on the nest with the smaller of the two chicks staying close:


The smaller chick was constantly cheeping. Probably missing his/her mother's attention.

Meanwhile the larger of the chicks ...
Stripey!
... was tootling around with papa:


who was looking pretty pleased:


In other grebe related news:

The "middle" grebes are still wandering around after their two(at least) attempts at nest building.


There only appears to be one "top" grebe left:


Five (+2) grebes on such a small patch of water!


Blackberries are fruiting, as are damsons

Meanwhile humans are decorating the canal in their usual way.
Outside my front door are sloe bushes: must try some sloe gin.

4 comments:

  1. Sloe gin is my favourite! Great shots of the Grebes on the pond. Whats with litter? My mum drilled it into us not to drop litter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rojer,
    Have missed your pics. Great Grebes, they always look so regal, til they dive and disappear.
    Not sure those are sloes, looked more like a Mahonia bush to me! Best check before you try the gin.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah, right, I'll check on that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Googling around it looks as if you're right: it's Mahonia. Shame.

    ReplyDelete

Speak: