09 April 2020

2 to 4 Jan 2020

Second of January

Tufties on the pond.
A few years ago there were very few, if any, tufted ducks on the pond, then a few started to overwinter. Now they're outnumbering the mallards.



Lichen has for a long time been a fascination of mine. This 'blob' has moss growing in and around it - or is it growing in and around the moss. I keep reminding myself to do a little bit of reading and educate myself about lichens, fungi, and other denizens of the undergrowth but idleness takes over.



This bullfinch was between pond and canal just above Morse Lock.
I don't see 'em very often.

Third of Jan

Up above the North side of the pond someone's taken to hanging nets of peanuts and coconut halves full of birdy goodies in the willows. I've joined in.  There's blue and great tits feeding most times, often together.
I subsequently found out who that was - more later.


Saturday the Fourth of Jan


A few of the zillions of blackthorn on the North of the pond are blooming early - very early - remember these pics were taken at the beginning of January.

Lichen will grow (almost) anywhere here it's on the plastic connectors of a wire fence.

I've been playing with shutter speed a bit; here's Stret Lock (above) and Deep Lock (below) bywashes in spate at fast and slow speeds


The lock gate paddles are raised and lowered using windlasses on rather splendid mechanisms mounted on the gates. At the 'upstream' end of the lock they're somewhat different.



The view from Morse Lock's bridge over to Saint Anne's Church across fields and houses.


Ivy fruits provide food for birds and small mammals throughout winter months.


Whenever there's a decent Moon I try to get a picture of it



That's a few more days done, I hope to speed up from now but it's taken me a while to get into making the pics and words look how I want 'em to. Publishing at Midnight Wed/Thur

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I posted a comment! Loved the blackthorn, and the moon. Love that you are blogging again. Nice profile pic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just seen your comment.
    There's loads of blackthorn here.
    It's 'probably' the same moon that is high above you even though you're a bit of distance away. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Speak: